Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Terrible Swift Sword

Finished the second volume of Bruce Catton's American Civil War trilogy.  I've been reading this while playing War Between The States and it made an excellent companion.

Not that I've read a lot about the ACW, but I highly recommend this series.

I will now start reading the third volume, Never Call Retreat, but when I next come to play WBTS I might read Battle Cry Freedom which has been recommended and/or the Shelby Foote trilogy (and watch those DVDs I have some where).

4 comments:

  1. It's a really great trilogy which together with Catton's other ACW books are classics. If you haven't read them though try Stephen Spears four books covering the war in the east up to Gettysburg, eminently readable and informative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The ACW is well served by a lot of good literature. I recently subjected my book club to The Red Badge of Courage, not historical, but certainly evocative and a good bit of literature.

      Delete
  2. When I first started war gaming it was with Airfix armies, and of course I read every bally book I could find on the war. That included Bruce Catton's fine and accessable series. If can get hold of them I highly recommend Col Henderson's 1898 biography of T.J. Jackson, and D.S. Freeman's 'Lee's Lieutenants'. Both very readable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I just need to keep my focus (which I fear is about to go off into Napoleonics or WW2 and day soon).

      Delete