Friday, February 20, 2015

Blitz Street - movie

I watched Blitz Street on DVD recently, it was interesting, but fairly repetitive.  The interviews were good and the historical footage excellent.


The bombs just kept getting bigger and I had no real appreciation of just how powerful the V1 and V2 were in terms of explosive power.  Information on the manufacture and total tonnage dropped would have been interesting, particularly in comparison to other conflicts.  Might have been a bit dry, but also, perhaps, a bit too relevant to the potential futility of recent bombing actions.

In the DVD there is a speech from Hitler saying "...if the British Air Force drops two, three or four thousand kilos of bombs, then we will now drop 150,000, 180,000, 230,000, 300,000 or 400,000, yes, one million kilograms in a single night."  I don't know what the final totals were, but I know he lost.

The anniversary of the bombing of Dresden occurred around the time I was watching this program. I must admit my level of care factor was pretty low after watching Blitz Street (and this from someone who rates Slaughterhouse 5 as one of his favourite books).

Such waste.

Makes me wonder why I like wargaming so much.  Perhaps its the quest for understanding.

1 comment:

  1. I watched Blitz Street on TV a few years ago - certainly very sobering. It is one thing to read of the missions of the bombing crews (e.g. Ralph Barker's books), but what happens on the ground is just horrible.

    ReplyDelete