Sunday, January 2, 2011

Volksgrenadier Battalion 1944-45 or what to do with some old Airfix Germans

Years ago I created a two battalion regiment and regimental assets using basing and TOE from Command Decision in order to use up some old Airfix Germans.  What I now want is something I can use for multiple rule sets and different representations of organisation levels: battalion, company, platoon etc.  I did a little research and came up with the following organisation from bayonetstrength:

Battalion HQ
                Communications Platoon
                Supply Platoon
Heavy Company
                Mortar Platoon
                Infantry Gun Platoon
                Two Machine Gun Platoons
Three Rifle Companies
                Rifle Platoon
                Two Sturm Platoons (SMG)

What I want is something I can use for multiple rule sets and different scales.  As a result I came up with the following table:


Unit
Company Level
Platoon Level
Squad Level
Battalion HQ
HQ Stand
HQ Stand

-Communications Platoon

Signals Stand

-Supply Platoon

Supply Stand

Heavy Company
Heavy Weapons Stand


-Mortar Platoon

Mortar Stand
3xMortar
-Infantry Gun Platoon

IG Stand+Limber
2xIG
-Machine Gun Platoon

Machine Gun Stand
2xHMG
-Machine Gun Platoon

Machine Gun Stand
2xHMG
Rifle Company HQ
Rifle Stand

Coy HQ
-Rifle Platoon

Rifle Cmd Stand
Plt HQ, 3xRifle
-Sturm Platoon

SMG Stand
Plt HQ, 3xSMG
-Sturm Platoon

SMG Stand
Plt HQ, 3xSMG
Rifle Company HQ
Rifle Stand

Coy HQ
-Rifle Platoon

Rifle Cmd Stand
Plt HQ, 3xRifle
-Sturm Platoon

SMG Stand
Plt HQ, 3xSMG
-Sturm Platoon

SMG Stand
Plt HQ, 3xSMG
Rifle Company HQ
Rifle Stand

Coy HQ
-Rifle Platoon

Rifle Cmd Stand
Plt HQ, 3xRifle
-Sturm Platoon

SMG Stand
Plt HQ, 3xSMG
-Sturm Platoon

SMG Stand
Plt HQ, 3xSMG

5
17
13 (Coy)


Of course just one stand is required to represent the unit at the Battalion Level.


The above picture is the first Battalion.  Mainly Airfix’s original WW2 German Infantry, but with scratch built IG 75, mortar and machine guns.  Each stand represents a Platoon sized unit more or less.


The above picture is the second Battalion, identical to the first, but with a few ring-ins (mainly Matchbox) to make up the numbers.  I’m still working out how to get the best out of my camera when it comes to photographing miniatures.



This picture is the Regimental assets.  Airfix again, but with more odds and sods (even a guy from the Airfix German Mountain Troops making part of the engineer platoon).


The last picture is a generic Volksgrenadier unit.  I particularly like that it is out of focus.  It wasn’t intentional, but it reminds me of the “Vaseline on the lens” technique used to get a soft, romantic image; perfect for these old figures that are full of nostalgia.

The only thing I am not happy with is the very small two figure basing.  I would much prefer something like the one and a quarter inch (32mm or so) square Crossfire bases, but this is a much bigger subject for another day.

2 comments:

  1. I've just caught up with your post. The old Airfix figures can still hold their own en-masse can't they? I went over to the larger FoW 50 x 30mm bases some time ago to reduce the amount of fiddling about with units. It seems to me that the smaller the bases, the longer players spend hiding them behind trees! :-)

    Regards, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These figures along with the infantry combat group and the 8th Army and Afrika Korps would have been my first and so have heaps of memories and nostalgia for me, plus I think they have held their charm. Sadly no longer on the table top, and they are very fragile as the plastic has become very brittle.

      I'm now focused on 15mm using the FOW basing as a convenience, but nothing more.

      I do like the bigger bases with Impetus for Ancients and my 6mm Napoleonics are (extremely slowly) getting a similar treatment. My 15mm Napoleonics I am stuck with small bases (but still 4 figures per base)

      Delete